Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thanksgiving Day Miracle

Being the "token American" in my group of friends is a title that I not only relish, but try to milk for all its worth. For this reason I decided to host a Thanksgiving in Sydney for my non-American friends who had never experienced the glory of the most physically painful holiday (with stomach muscles stretched to maximum capacity). Luckily I had Lisa here, and help from Jackie too, because I am sure I definitely could not have done it alone. It also helped that Lisa brought some essentials from back home (Stove Top, canned cranberries, marshmallows, canned pumpkin pie, etc). But even still- cooking for 10 people is quite a feat.Our menu included the standard American dishes: turkey, ham, stuffing, green bean casserole, baked mac 'n' cheese, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, cranberry, rolls, gravy and for dessert pumpkin pie... oh and s'mores because they really wanted to try these.We were most concerned with the Turkey as none of us had every made one before, but Lisa had no fear and like a pro ripped out the neck and removed the liver of the raw turkey, and off she went. After we remembered to foil-tent the bird, it went very smoothly. Everything did in fact... we were like a well oiled machine, working in the tiniest kitchen using the tiniest oven imaginable, and using American recipes having to convert weird measurements. I even surprised myself with my first attempt at baked mac 'n' cheese from scratch. Okay, it wasn't as good as my sisters, but give it a couple more tries and I am sure it will be perfect! My favorite was the turkey, but most everyone else loved the sweet potatoes. "How can a vegetable be so delicious?"... uh, maybe its the tons of butter and sugar added. Here's the final products:We also had everyone make a "hand turkey"... you know, because you always make a hand turkey on Thanksgiving- ha! They really got into it anyways, and it kept them busy while we finished up in the kitchen. Thanksgiving was a phenomenal success and I am thoroughly impressed with us for not screwing anything up. And even though we couldn't watch American football. Lisa and I both wore Texas shirts to pay homage to the Longhorns, this years future National Champions.
I realize one of the best parts of Thanksgiving is leftovers, but unfortunately Lisa and I didn't get to have any because the next morning we were off to Cairns to swim the Great Barrier Reef. PS- I love having the biggest meal of the year and then getting into a swimsuit twelve hours later!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

a success it was! i'm thorougly impressed! now you can say you have made a thanksgiving feast, in sydney, no less. My lil heart just wells up with joy knowing that you put this whole thing together. cheers!

ps: swam the GBReef the next day? Nice way to throw that in all casually. Very awesome!

Unknown said...

OMG!

That meal looks awesome.

And what a fun trip for LiLi - so incredibly jealous!!!!

Oh - and when do you come home, btw?

NYE is right around the corner and we need someone to start planning for us. Ok, thanks - see you soon hopefully.

AD said...

Wow, the food looks great, good job, I'm sure you were a hit!