Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lost in Translation

Sorry friends... I have been such a bad blogger the past couple weeks, but the truth is that nothing too interesting has been going on around here.

I've just started my second semester of school and am already behind. But I did pass all my classes last semester... actually I did better than pass, I got a "Credit" in all except accounting, which by some miracle I managed a "Distinction". The grading in Australia doesn't really translate to American grades but it goes something like this: High Distinction (A+), Distinction (A), Credit (B), Pass (C), and Fail (D/F).

Also, I have been working a lot, which is great because I spent way too much over my "winter break" and am hoping to go on a few more trips before I head back home. On my list to see is Melbourne (pronounced Mel-bun), Cairns (pronounced Cannes)- which is the main stop for seeing the Great Barrier Reef , and hopefully one big trip after school ends... there has been some talk about Thailand. Scary! So in an effort to save up for these amazing places I have been trying not to go out as much. Boring!

But I did think of one silly story, that I'm still embarrassed about, to share with you. So, we were in Risk Management class last week, and we are discussing an upcoming assignment or something. This is our lecturer's first time teaching so he is kinda still figuring everything out, and it came up that he had mistakenly scheduled class on one of the days during the mid-semester exam week. So everyone is trying to explain why we don't have class, and the entire class is sorta talking aloud to no one in particular.

At some point during the commotion this French girl, who is also in events and all my same classes, says loudly to the teacher, "If we don't have class maybe we can go on a trip?" She, of course, means a site visit or field trip, but I guess maybe it doesn't translate properly.


I hear her say this from across the room, so I jokingly say to my friends sitting around me "Trip? I vote for Melbourne!". So, I laugh at my own joke... the people around me are laughing too, but of course my laugh somehow carries above the others. Then the French girl turns around looks directly at me and says "Actually, I don't think its very funny" (imagine this in a French accent). And the entire class goes silent, and the teacher does a nervous laugh and no one says anything for several seconds.

So, I went through my typical stages when stuff like this happens: First I am embarrassed, silent and want to die; then at some point I get angry and defensive; and when that wears off I finally get guilty, want to explain myself and make amends. I asked Jackie if I should apologize to her after class (even though I was NOT laughing at her... I was laughing at my own joke!), but Jackie said I need to let it go. It's been a week now and I still feel awkward everyday when I see her in class. Why do the French hate Americans again? :)

Miss you guys... and I promise to try and keep you updated more.

2 comments:

AD said...

I can picture that situation so clearly!!! LOL, don't beat yourself up about it (very funny). Congrats on getting good grades, like there was ever any question :)

Unknown said...

Hello Lover! What's the update on your Mac? Did you get a new one? You aren't using a PC are you?!? The HORROR!