Thursday, September 24, 2009

Red Skies Over Sydney

As you may have heard or read about... yesterday was quite a bizarre day in Sydney. Here is my perspective: For some reason I randomly woke up around 6:30-7:00am, and when I did I was very confused. There was a very strange bright red color filtering through my blinds. Even in my barely awake state, it didn't seem right that the sky would be so bright so early in the morning. Actually it was so unnatural that I was certain someone had put something over my window outside. So I got up and peeked out the blinds to see what was going on, outside looked like this... literally!Mind you, this was at 7am! But I guess I was really tired because I just went back to sleep. I woke up again about an hour later to get ready for work, and the redness through my blinds was almost gone. So I figured maybe I was dreaming, or going crazy or something. Then I walked outside to catch my bus and noticed as soon as I stepped outside that the sky is SO dirty... like a really thick brown fog... something like this. Also, people on the streets were wearing actual medical masks and covering their faces with scarves and such. It was actually a really disturbing and uncomfortable feeling. I hadn't see the news or talked to anyone so I didn't know what was going on and thought maybe something bad had happened.

But when I finally got to work, my coworkers clued me in. Apparently it was just a really bad dust storm... or "the worst dust storm in 70 years!" according to Sydney Morning Herald. So very bizarre! I wish I would have properly woken up when I first saw it so I could've taken pictures, but once again sleep wins! When I got back to my room that night, I realized I had left the window open and my window sill was covered in red dust. Of course!

1 comment:

AD said...

very creepy! can't believe you just went back to sleep! :)