Sunday, November 8, 2009

First Australian Sun Burn

A couple weeks ago I got to check the Australian state of Queensland. I met up with my Texan friend Jason in Brisbane (pronounced Briz-bin) and while he worked I toured the city. The temperature in Queensland is much warmer than New South Wales which I LOVED! I spend the day walking around the city- I checked out a modern art museum, the first catholic church in the city, and a park that included, among other interesting stuff, a man-made beach and pool. Sweet right?
After Jason got off work we headed off to Surfer's Paradise which is about an hours drive outside the city. We stopped about mid-way to get something to eat, and the place we ate at was called "Lone Star Cafe"... you know, just because we had to. :) Although the inside looked exactly like a Texas Land and Cattle restaurant, the food was nothing compared. They didn't even have chicken fried steak for crying out loud! But they did have complimentary peanuts in the shell which I guess was supposed to make up for it.
So we finally got to Surfers Paradise and headed out for a night out. Surfers can best be described as the epitome of every "spring break" beach town- young girls in tiny clothes and drunk guys without shirts! Despite this it was a fun time. We were there on a weekend when they were having a huge car race, so there were a lot of people out.

Although we heard it, we never actually saw the car race. We did however go to the beach and get some sun. Although it was really hot out, the ocean water was too freezing to go in, so we settled for the hotel pool. That night I was so red and burnt, and in so much pain... not surprisingly not long after the trip, the entire top layer of my skin peeled off- nice!

So all in all, a fun trip and I got to have some much needed R&R in the sun. :)

2 comments:

AD said...

Wow, looks so pretty!

Unknown said...

No chicken fried steak at Lone Star Cafe?! The peanuts better have been awesome and crumbled all over the floor to make up for it.