Tuesday, May 26, 2009

That's Amore

This weekend my friends and I went to a street festival called "Primo Italiano". We'd heard about it in class from one of our guest lecturers who talked to us about entertainers and performing artists. Liezel, is an actress who has been, in addition to other things, doing street skits during Primo for the last few years.

Primo's most popular skit is performed by Liezel and her partner Johnny (also an actor). The skit is appropriately called "Romeo and Juliet", and portrays a very stereotypical Italian couple... think- red lips, greasy hair, spray tans and yelling from the balcony. Can I just say, Italian faux accents over Australian real accents is interesting.

Anyway, this year they wanted Romeo and Juliet to finally get married and have an Italian wedding on the streets. Well, the real couple decided that they would use this opportunity to get married for real. Apparently that have been together forever, and have a kid and all that. So the couple got legally married in front of thousands of strangers, and of course their real family and friends.

The wedding was so sweet, and the reception and proposal scenes were hilarious! I wish I could post my own pics, but as you know my computer is currently at the hospital... diagnosis: eff'ed! So anyway, I stole this picture from the Internet so you can see what Liezel and Johnny look like.

2 comments:

AD said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Can't wait to see your pics!

Unknown said...

So cool that they got married in front of everyone! I'm also trying to imagine Italian fake accents over Australian real accents... hmm. Do you speak Aussie-like now? Also, so sad about computer.. how much will it cost to fix?