skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Wine Country - Hunter Valley
This weekend Jackie, Ashleigh and I went out to the wine country of New South Wales- Hunter Valley. Because it is about two and a half hours outside of Sydney we went with a tour group of about 10 people. Our bus was to pick us up at 7am on Saturday morning so that part sucked, but luckily we got to sleep the whole way. And it was really nice to get out of the city for a few hours and get back to nature.
Our first tasting was at 10:30am... kinda strange to start drinking that early... and in total we visited four different wineries. We also had a tasting at the place we stopped to eat lunch... so it was a lot of wine. So much in fact that I couldn't even finish at the last place. A couple of the wineries also had cheese and olive tastings so that was helpful. Although I did make the mistake of trying a very VERY sharp cheese at one of the shops called "Smelly Cheese Shop"- and I don't think I will ever get that taste out of my mouth! Gross...
I'm the first to admit that I am not a wine connoisseur in the slightest, but I tried to use the skills I'd learned a couple years ago in the wine country of San Francisco (Sonoma Valley?) with my sis and cousin. It goes little something like this: swirl wine in glass, smell, take small taste, hold in mouth and swish it around to bring out flavors, swallow and say something pretentious like, "The legs on this Merlot are lovely, and the oaky taste, that lingers on the tongue, tells heaps about its age and distinction."
Needless to day, I bought a bottle from Tempus Two Winery. Its called Moscato which is a white wine that is slightly sparkling- so its like a sweeter version of a champagne. Delish!
5 comments:
Looks like you are having fun and keeping busy! Miss you!!!
Amazing! I hope you took more pictures too.
Sonoma Valley! Great memory. What's insane is that I was just thinking about wine terminology the other day too. Also, sharp cheese, ugh, I know what you mean.
Wine tasting reminds me of our first Christmas in Dallas. Remember we went to Antares (the place on top of Reunion tower). And Clay (quite the wine connoisseur) was asked to smell the cork and approved of the wine after a quick sniff. And then later in the night...you were found sitting in the lap of Santa Clause and made it home WITHOUT your shoes but WITH a pink boa (that we found in the bathroom). Awwww....I'm sad now. Miss you!!
Post a Comment