Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Meat Pie, Monorail, Museum, and More

Day Two:

I got off to a late start today… even though I woke up at 8am! But I desperately needed to do some laundry and the best times to get a machine (or 4, in my case) are first thing in the morning or late at night. So after laundry, breakfast and shower… I was ready to start my adventure, but of course it started raining so I sat around watching TV instead. When it finally stopped raining I pulled myself off the couch and headed out.

My first stop was Hannah’s Pies where I had my very first Australian Meat Pie (with Coke- $6.00). Okay it looks and sounds nasty, but it is very good. Basically like a Chicken Pot Pie, but with warm meat and gravy inside and nothing healthy. They had a bunch of different types of “pies”, but I played it safe and got the regular one. Hannah’s Pies is basically just a counter with no seating, so I was eating outside on the street… then it started raining again and I had to move under a bridge. So I felt like a homeless tourist as I was taking pictures of my food.
Afterwards I took my very first ride on the monorail into the city center ($4.80). The monorail goes on a circular loop around the main part of the CBD and my plan was to take the entire loop before I got off, but I started feeling yuck (probably due to the meat pie) so I got off at City Center stop. This worked out well because I wanted to go to a museum anyway (since it was raining) and there are a bunch in that area.Before I got to a museum I stopped at the Customs House. I'd heard that in the lobby there was a miniature model of the city of Sydney under the floor. Very cool- here is me standing over the Opera House... can you see me in the reflection?I’d already been to the Museum of Contemporary Art, but I'd read about this new exhibit at the Justice and Police Museum called Femme Fatale. So that’s where I headed. The J&P Museum ($4.00) was pretty cool and slightly creepy. There weren’t very many people in there and some of the exhibits were inside actual cells of the original Sydney Police House- so I was reading about murders and criminals and freaking myself out. But the Femme Fatale exhibit was really interesting- like there was one lady who dressed and lived as a man, and she married another woman who she eventually killed, but the wife supposedly never knew she was married to a woman. Strange!

So when I got back to my flat I asked Lisa if she wanted to go to dinner (since I’d had a pretty inexpensive day) and we went to this awesome tapas bar in Glebe called “Different Drummer”… very cool atmosphere even if it did make me go over my daily allowance ($35.00). Whenever you come visit me I will def take you there- let me know when and I will make reservations. ☺

Daily Total: $49.80 (converted to USD it is still okay)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Meat pie with cherry sauce on top? Interesting...