Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pavlova, Passion Fruit and Will

Tonight Will (my flatmate making his photographic debut, above, on this blog) had a friend over and wanted to make her an authentic Australian dessert, Pavlova. I decided to help him, so as to guarantee my chance to try it as well. My contribution was to cut up the strawberries and to whip the frosting.

This dessert is SO delish! It is a meringue on the inside, so its really light and fluffy, and on the outside is a crust of what tastes like powdered sugar that dissolves in your mouth. Then on top is frosting and fruit. Yum!!

In addition to trying pavlova for the first time I also had my first taste of passion fruit, which Will put on the top with strawberries and bananas. If you haven't had passion fruit you should- it is the weirdest thing! On the outside is a thick purplish skin that makes it look almost like an avocado, and when you open it up there is yellow slimy goo with dark seeds. It looks really gross (check out picture below), but tastes really good and unique... slightly sweet and slightly sour.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Why do you need a butcher knife to cut open a small fruit!?

Unknown said...

That's a lot of fruit. Hey Willy Gurl!

Unknown said...

Is it sad that I was going to post "Tell Willy we say Hey Gurl!!" before I even saw Rob's comment. Who are we!?!?