Thursday, June 25, 2009

State of Origin

Last night after work two of my co-workers invited me out to happy hour to watch "State of Origin". No, this is not a movie or TV show as I first thought. But apparently it is a big Rugby League game between the Queensland Cane Toads and the New South Wales Cockroaches (gross!)... or as I referred to them Maroon and Light Blue (respectively). Apparently this game is a big deal because these are special teams formed with the best players from other rugby teams. See, there are all these different rugby "leagues" and something called Australian Football League which I think is also rugby, but with different rules. It's all very confusing and I lost interest half way through typing that last sentence...

Anyway, we went to a sports bar in Double Bay and watched the game. I was going for the maroon team (or QLD), even though I probably should've rooted for NSW since that's my home. But, Meg, my co-worker, is from Brisbane and told me to root for her team. Since she's beautiful and SO nice and I want her to be my best friend... I did. And I think I made the right choice because QLD ended up winning!! Bonus- I learned tons about rugby:

1. There are two halves, each forty minutes each... but the timer counts up, not down
2. Each team is trying to get to ball to the "end zone" (I'm not sure what its actually called), and in doing so is allowed six tackles from the opposing team, before they have to turn over the ball.
3. Players can only run or kick forward, but have to pass backwards
4. If a team does get the ball to the end zone this is called a "Try" and is worth 4 points.
5. You don't have to slide into the end zone, but everyone does!
5. After the Try the team is allowed a kick (aka. field goal) which must go between the "goal post" and is worth 2 extra points
6. Tackling above the shoulders is illegal
7. Rugby players do not wear any protection... not even cups! (see image below)So it was lots of fun and I even got to witness my first rugby fist-fight which was arguably the most exciting part of the game! And after it was over, both fighters were still playing in the game... strange! Also, I decided that rugby players have the sexiest legs of all athletes. Now I'm sure American football players, and soccer players have nice legs too, but rugby players wear tiny shorts and show them off. Loves it!!

Now with all my new rugby knowledge... I can't wait to go to my first "live" rugby game!!

1 comment:

AD said...

sound like FUN!