So when I tried to check-in at 10am today I was told my room wasn't ready- I thought this might be an issue and was expecting that I would have to wait a couple hours (until noon) to get my room. However, I was told it wouldn't be ready until 2pm! Under normal circumstances this would have been okay, but I was sweaty from moving around my luggage, smelly of airplane stink and my teeth were in bad need of a brush. Plus I knew I would have to carry around my 20lb bag since it had all my valuables. But with no other options, I washed my face in the hotel bathroom, pulled my hair back in a ponytail, and set off to explore my new city.
First thing on my list was to visit the City Campus, right around the corner from my hotel. I wanted to check in with the International Student Office to confirm that I was all set for my orientation and enrolment (thats how its spelled here)- I was. Then I decided to do a trial run to the satellite campus where I will be having orientation tomorrow. So this meant that I had to navigate the City Rail (subway) on my own. It wasn't too bad, and someone even asked me for directions so I must've looked like a natural. The trains here are actually double-deckers, so I sat on the top level in hopes of getting a better view.
The ride to Kuring-Gai Campus was 30 minutes long and we went over the harbor where I got a clear view of the Opera House- beautiful! Unfortunately when I got off at my stop, I had absolutely no idea where I was going so I just roamed the streets like a vagabond... a vagabond carrying a bag that was so heavy it was slowly giving me scoliosis.
I needed a break and fortunatley it was time for lunch. I was too intimidated to enter one of those small cafe places so I ate at KFC (ha- I know, I am a total loser!) and read my magazine all alone. I never actually found my campus, but figured I was close enough so I headed back.
Luckily my room was available. So as soon as got in I got online, turned on the TV, fought the urge to fall asleep and eventually took a shower. Thank goodness.
Hours later I went out again to grab dinner... in my exploration I found a tasty little bistro called McDonald's (ever heard of it?) and brought it back to my room to eat in front of the TV. What? It's getting dark out and my feet are tired and I am still jet-lagged. So now I'm ready for my first night in Sydney. Goodnight!
Sydney Tip #2: They drive on the wrong side (or left side) of the road here, so you have to look right-left-right instead of left-right-left before you cross the street if you want to avoid getting run over. Trust me on this!

4 comments:
OMFG! I heart morepinks. I'm now officially addicted. Please continue to update everyday.
So incredibly jealous of your new journey. LOVE and MISS you!
Hope your scoliosis is better! Too bad they don't have free internet there. Have you tried bartering boomerangs for internet? American-made boomerangs are probably valuable there...
I love this blog!! It's so much better than that other little guy's blog. But then again, I haven't read that since the first time he posted so it may have gotten better, I doubt it though.
You should write a book on how to write blogs. It's blogerific. When are we ichatting?
And most importantly, when are you posting the video of the toilet flushing in reverse?!
So jealous of your gourmet meals! Love the blog!
Post a Comment