skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Student Housing- A Friendly Place
I finally have a place to live! As I mentioned previously, I was accepted to live in student housing. It might be interesting to know that although the university has over 35,000 students, they only have four student housing residences which contain 400 beds. Apparently in Australia it is very uncommon to live on campus. Typically, one of the advisers told me, students pick the uni that is closest to their parents house so they can live at home.
So I guess I am very luckily to have received a spot. The residence I live in is called Gumal Ngurang, this is an Aboriginal word for "friendly place". And Gumal is the largest of all the student residences.
Gumal is located on on Broadway Street, which happens to be the same street as my school. Here is a picture of the street I live on and as you can see UTS's tower building, in the background, is very close.
From Broadway you turn into a little alley way. This is the main entrance to Gumal.
This opens up to a huge courtyard which has a fountain and statue in the center. Straight ahead is the entrance to my building.
I live on the second floor (more details on my room and roommates later), but on the top floor of Gumal there is a game room. I haven't yet had the pleasure of hanging out there, but I did sneak up early this morning to take a couple pics. There is a TV room, pool table, full kitchen and of course the laundry room.
But the best part is the roof top terrace. It over looks the city and there are a bunch of tables and even a grill so I can "put another shrimp on the barbie", if I ever get the courage to go to the roof with other people!
Overall, the accommodations are quite nice. Its close to school, close to the main train station and close to shopping. Plus its pretty inexpensive compared to Sydney housing and I just found out that we get free wireless internet.
I will be posting pics of my apartment soon enough, and also my roommates... when I'm certain they will not think I'm creepy for taking their pictures.
2 comments:
I'm dying for roomie details. Are they cute?? Is there a cute aussie boy (or boi!?!)? Is the girl your new bestie?
Miss you!
Love your new profile picture...
Post a Comment