As another means of discovering the "new me" in Sydney, I recently joined the gym at school. My body apparently wasn't ready for this step because this morning I had to roll out of the bed instead of sit up like a normal person. The 100 crunches I did yesterday must have sent my abdominals into some sort of shock. I am I still not walking completely upright.
The good news here is that I am loving the new metric system used in Australia. I ran a bit yesterday and was pleased to see that the distance on my treadmill read "5.00"... I realized later that it must have been in kilometers and was really only like 3 miles (1km = 0.621m). But at the time I thought it was pretty cool that I could run 5 of anything especially since my running shoes have seen little or no action for quite some time.
Then I did maybe the bravest thing I've done since I've been here.... I weighed myself at the gym. The unit of measurement for weight in Australia is kilograms (1kg = 2.205lbs) which means that the number that displayed on the scale was like half the number I usually see. So I think I'm loving the metric system. In fact, I think I'm going to start using kilograms as my official unit of measurement even when I'm back in the States. It's such a tiny number that it makes me feel like I'm in middle school again. So if you're looking for a confidence boost, I recommend changing your scale to "kg" too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Woo hoo, way to go, 3 miles? I had troulbe running 2 the other day, all that walking is prob paying off too! And don't worry, I have decided never to weigh again, so zero is even better than metrics! :) Miss u!
How about some flatmate pictures, already?
Moke, 3 miles? You're amazing! I will try to run 1 mile tomorrow and report back to you. I'm sure it will be a failure. Also, rolling out of bed, haha
Post a Comment